First participation in an international tourism fair
In 1924, the one-storey hotel in the St. Constantine Monastery was upgraded with two more floors. Thus, the three-storey building, for the first time in the history of Bulgarian tourism, took part in the International Tourism Fair in Prague in 1928.
The establishment of the first grape therapy station was in the Sts. Constantine and Helena Resort. In line with the modern traditions in Europe from the late 19th century for establishing grape therapy stations in countries with developed viticulture, such as Germany, Italy and France, in 1930s, the first grape therapy station in Bulgaria, which offered the combination of sea therapy with grape therapy, was built in the Sts. Constantine and Helena Resort. Even then, an opportunity for development not only of viticulture, but also for extending the tourist season was seen in this initiative. At the entrance of the monastery, an arch was created with an inscription in Bulgarian and German: “The first grape therapy station St. Constantine.” The station was officially opened in 1933, and among its visitors, there were people from Bulgarian, the Czech Republic and Poland who came here by medical prescription. At the end of their stay, every holidaymaker was seen off with a package of grapes as a gift and as a pleasant memory of their stay at St. Constantine.
Development of the resort and tourism from 1908 to the present day
Following the analysis of the interest of foreign tourists to reside along the Varna coast, a regulation plan and rules for the suburban resort zone were adopted in 1933. It provided for the St. Constantine area to become a bustling and secular suburban resort with new luxury hotels, a sea casino, beautiful pedestrian lanes along the coast, a large park area and a recreation area. The first were the holiday station of the telegraph workers, the Polish holiday station, built by the municipality in Warsaw, the stations of the Teachers’ Fund, the Sofia School Board, and the Clerk’s Insurance Company. For the comfort of the tourists, a seasonal summer telegraph-mail station was opened where the visitors could send letters and postcards. Over the years, the development of the resort and of tourism as a whole was not only of a local interest, but turned into a state issue with the introduction of the Economic Tourism sector in the Bulgarian economy in 1947. New hotels, restaurants, confectioneries, bars, sports facilities, tennis courts, playgrounds, outdoor swimming pools were built in the resort.
Nowadays, in search of a proper rest and a favourable combination of a sea, thermal springs and a sea climate, thousands of tourists come to the Sts. Constantine and Helena Resort all year round to discover their perfect sea, spa, wellness and balneo vacation. And what is more – the place is special for those who find inspiration in beautiful landscapes and draw on the charging energy of the sea.